2.09.2010

MY SPRING LOVE TABLESCAPE



Money... the root of all evil and the destroyer of LOVE. Making LOVE costs nothing. It's the giving of your SELF to the one you LOVE that matters most. And what better time of year to make LOVE and not just buy it, than at Valentines Day?

MADE LOVE wall art with old poster & unused frames
(inspired by ROBERT INDIANA's 'LOVE')

Not working has really given me some time to rejuvenate and wake up my creativity. Once again, I've gone into the garage, cupboards, and storage bins to pull something together for this upcoming Valentines. I pulled together all items, whether to actually to BE used, or to inspire color and pattern...


Pulled together whatever pinks, reds and whites I had,
including scarves & pashminas.


Looking over color scheme.

Grouping the items on the cleared off dining table, I studied their links and likenesses to see what might be missing... and ventured off to fill in the missing pieces (what's Valentines without some flowers and candy?) Simple enough, and dare I say CHEAP too!

Added the dollar store details.


Some simple DOLLAR STORE finds did the trick (WITHOUT looking tacky!) for a total tablescape and dining room makeover of only $15. Three white mini pails, six bunches of carnations, three packets of heart shaped dollies, and three bags of candies.


All the laciness texture relates: starfish spines, carnations and doilies.





Switched back shades to their original frosted glass.

Already had on hand dishes, paisley napkins, runners, two printed napkins, candles, cylinders, heart shaped ramekins, three canvases, candle holders, sand, starfish, white pillowcases, red and white window panels, frosted glass shades for chandelier, books, frames, lamps, and shower curtain.

Regency styled candle holders WERE gold: refreshed in white.



Yes. Shower curtain. Wanted a modern looking B&W artwork on the wall, and I've always liked the print of this curtain we don't use... so I wrapped an old piece of canvas, stapled it to the back, and leaned it against the wall. Not popping the deep red & pink on the buffet helps this space to flow into the Living Room... The overall look is still eclectic, and personalized with "us" for Valentines...



Jeff & Lynda on Robert Indiana's LOVE in NYC

Although Valentines is seen as a 'couples' day, for those single hearts, why not have the girls over for a dinner party? Or your mom & friends for a luncheon? If it is just the two of you, why not invite another couple over? Grill some seafood and veggies, serve up some shrimp cocktails as an appetizer, and since dinner was light, go for a yummy & rich cheese cake for dessert!


Although I can, COOKING is NOT my thing
(it's my husbands. I call him Chef Jeff)
A GREAT place to find more ideas for
tables and recipes is
Michael Lee West, author of books and her blog,
has some WONDERFUL food filled eye candy on her blog...
and be sure to check out her
Foodies Friday.




What inspires you?
For me, it's the concrete jungle,
corals, candlelight, starfish and LOVE..
(my sweetie loves the ocean, and I love the CITY!!)

Painted over two existing canvases (WISH wall art from holiday)
in wall color for flow: it pops the turq to this side of space.

Pull together what matters to you,
and see what newness you can give to your
Valentine...




LINKING POST TO:

STYLE SISTERS BLOG

BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH

SOMEWHAT SIMPLE

TATERTOTS & JELLO






18 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you so much! That was so generous of you. I love your colors, dishes, and DS finds--everything looks beautiful. Until I came here tonight, I didn't realize that it's only 5 days till Valentine's. I retweeted you.
    XX00

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an inspiring post. When people turn their noses up at The Dollar Store I say one word that snaps their traps: Tony Duquette! Why, he turned the most banal objects found in places like The Dollar Store into gems that are still treasured today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing and never cease to inspire and amaze!!! I am not into Valentine's yet as we just got back from Germany and France, but your's is gorgeous and makes me want to decorate! I started a blog of sorts to journal our trip. Take a look if you get a chance! I hope to move into more decorating/photo stuff after the trip journal. Hope you and the hubby have a fantastic Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting - and glad you were inspired! And this tablescape can also be used for spring, for a bridal shower or any other seaside-love tablestyle you desire!

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I love everything you came up with! The shower curtain on the wall is so creative..it looks amazing! What a great idea to do a "love Valentine" dinner any time of year. Love the dollar store!! Thanks for linking up to Centerpiece Wednesday.

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, you have come up with some very clever ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Karin & Deanne! And thanks for visiting!!

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! and the shower curtain?-genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GORGEOUS! Love all the layering and texture, and color! Just glorious! Just a reminder - my Friday Vignette's post is tomorrow, and I'd love it if you'd link up! Even pictures from this post - the vignettes are great! :) Hope you join in! :) Artie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I checked the date to see what was going on, but it is never a bad time to appreciate the value of love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful table...hope you take time to stop by and laugh at mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the unexpected pop of blue against the pinks and reds. The shower curtain idea is pure genius. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much - I'm really happy to see you'all like the canvas wrapped in a shower curtain. I 'really' just have always loved the print (had since about '03) - and got tired of seeing it folded up in a box - and since I never could figure out what to paint on the canvas (lol) this is like cookies & milk :) - it just worked together!

    We've lived in our town home now going on our 4th year - and this was the first time I painted the wall a color (other than the charcoal) Since I got hooked on "the color of the year" (turq) I gave it a try - and it was very versatile!

    Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment... And thanks for the invite Artie! I'll be sure to link-up!

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful table. I would have never thought to have the starfish. I really love the shower curtain art you made! Very clever.

    I’m hosting a new link party “Cheap Thrills Thursday”. It’s for creative ideas that cost under $20. If you have a project you’d like to share, I’d love for you to stop by and join in Thursday!

    Kat

    www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for stopping by and for the invite Kat! I marked my calander - and will have to check it out!

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh so gorgeous... Loved your ideas... awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Patricia! Glad you like it!

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow.this is gorgeous. Hope you can drop by My Dream Canvas!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails