RENTAL RESTYLE: Small Bath Space Decor + Awkward Window Challenge

So you're renting, and the bathrooms aren't quite the same size as what you use to have? Lack of storage space? Lack of wall space? Just lack of space - period? Here's a few small changes I made to one of our now small bathrooms. We had 2 1/2 bathrooms before, offering both space + storage. Now we've gone to two, probably the size of our master bathroom before. But we still made the best of it with style + storage and for only the expense of a new set of bath towels - found on clearance for only $6.49...



How it was done:

 Used left over paint from another room in the house.
(This helps with consistency + flow of colors in the home.)

 Hid an awkward window with a picture (I already had - picked up at HomeGoods back in FL)  Adds style + privacy.

 Added cabinet door knobs - re-used - saved from drawer pull switch in Florida kitchen transformation (no handles on doors before)

 Added 2 floating shelves for storage + simple decor (from Target)

 Used a pair of 84" white window panels as shower curtain to add height to the small space. (had gotten at HomeGoods in FL - previously used in yoga room there)

 Picked up a fresh white set of towels w/grey stripe banding (on clearance
for only $6.49 at Ross) to display on towel bar. Folded extra set of white towels from HomeGoods) for shelves.

 Mixed in collected treasures from FL (the starfish + shell) plus
personal photos of Florida beaches I framed.

 Green sea grass brings a touch of life to the small space + relates to the coastal feel
(vs. using flowers) Smokey grey glass vase from HomeGoods FL.


Space before:




Tested picture sizes + content.
Saving the Ikea ocean prints for silver frames in the guest room.




Space after:


 Post update: 
Shared on HomeGoods collaboration Pinterest board - Happy By Design.




ReUsed one of the two white & silver soap pumps from our FL master bathroom here for the guest bathroom. Smokey grey glass vase & soap-pump from HomeGoods FL.


Previously, I'd use these coastal pics + decor only during the summer while we were living in Florida... But since our move to Arizona, using these items in our rental home helps bring a sense of connection to places we've been to.  And what better place to feel connected than the bathroom? lol Just kidding, but my point is that every room, no matter the size, is now an expression of us in our new home.



FL Townhome - Guest Bath


FL Townhome 1/2 Bath


FL Townhome Master Bath


Since our guest bath now is on the first floor, adjacent to the guest room, I used the medicine cabinet for storage of all the hotel samples we've collected and great for guest use. I've condensed almost 1/2 of the sheets and towels we had by donating them to Goodwill. Since I don't have the cabinet space I had before for the sheets and towels, I have them in a small linen closet just outside the bedroom.



From the second bathroom:
An eteger can help give storage space in a small bathroom.


Also from the second bathroom: Hooks replaced a standard towel bar.
Repainting an outdoor metal table (from HomeGoods) gives a space for a bowl to hold hair ties or rings.


From the first floor bathroom:
Building a small space with a neutral base allows for eeasy updates later: for example punch it up with red at holiday, or orange for fall.


Simple framed photos helped personalize the space.


Above photo I shot in St. Augustine back in about 2004.


Something else we had before in Florida were towel bars: in the showers, at the tub and in the water closet. Not having all that hanging space created a need for more folding space. Adding floating shelves helped give additional folding space in the guest bath. In our now (small) master bath, I used an eteger to help with storage space, plus we switched a standard towel bar for hooks. This makes everyday towels easy to get to, quicker to dry by hanging, and makes a functional display in a small space.


Rental ReStyle Recap:


1. Paint walls with an existing neutral color (grey)  2. Cover an awkward window with a picture 3. Floating shelves add storage + display 4. Window panels as shower curtains add height 5. Personal photos shot + framed 6. Details: greens - even faux - give life to a space + scented candle keep space smelling fresh. 7. Add door knobs to cabinet (these I had kept from when I switched the FL kitchen drawer knobs to cup pulls).



Before



After


A small space transformation like this can be done in a day. It's simple enough for a rental, or even a home staging if you need to sell. If you're looking for a simple weekend project for your home, this would be a great project to do, plus maybe add stencil or stripes to the walls for extra wow.




Thanks for stopping by!



LINKING POST TO:










50 comments:

  1. I love it! So classy! Have a nice weekend!
    Love, Olga

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm completely amazed!!! The bathroom looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and classy. Please share the paint color?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Olga, Rachel, Decorating Addiction, Terry, and Loretta... The paint colors called Cement - a Martha Stewart color, but mixed in Glidden at Home Depot. We really didn't like the coverage from Glidden, so try having the color mixed in Clark + Kensington paint at ACE.

    xo Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bathroom. I live in a small rental as well so I know all about having to make a lot of a small space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice and neutral. I love the idea of covering a window with a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This bathroom looks amazing. I'm grateful for your rental tips ...we rent, and I'm always trying to put our stamp on a place without getting into trouble! :) Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the floating shelves! Great bathroom updates!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very tasteful and sophisticated. You made a very small space have the feel of a spa! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where are your shelves from? Love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have made a small space feel like a spa and very elegant! Love the black and white photography! Ana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great style! Love that these changes are easy to do and don't cost much. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the floating shelves and the way you've used art - this looks like it could be in a hotel to me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, just visiting. I just wanted you to know that I pinned your bathroom (from Thrifty Decor Chick) almost a month ago, and it's been repinned 537 times! I just changed the link on the pin to this page so people can more easily find your work cause obviously it's a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love this makeover! My 2nd bathroom is laid out just like yours and is used mostly by my hubby and guests. I think this is the perfect look for it! Thank you - just pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow - that bathroom looks fantastic!!! found you on pinterest.

    jen
    athomeinthenorthwestblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. love! where did you get these shelves? I want to put three in my new bathroom!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  18. You can buy similar shelves from Pottery Barn: Holmes black shelving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction - Holman shelves in black.

      Delete
  19. Ikea have similar floating shelves too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much!! I was so inspired by you. A one day project and it looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So nice! My husband and I are using this as a model to redo our bathroom with the same space. So happy I found this

    ReplyDelete
  22. So nice! My husband and I are using this as a model to redo our bathroom with the same space. So happy I found this

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how you updated this bathroom...our masterbath seems to be very similar in layout...do you have any pictures of the rest of your bathroom...I would love to see how you utilized the space...especially the walls and vanity...

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is my first time i visit here.
    I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion.
    From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here!
    keep up the good work.
    Philadelphia Construction Company

    ReplyDelete
  25. What's the length of the floating shelves? I've found 10" which seem too short, and 24 inch which seem too long. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What is the paint color that you used? I find it difficult to find the right shade of grey.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a pretty bathroom, love the FL Townhome Master Bath.
    Hands Free Sensor Faucets

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for sharing such an important post about small bathroom remodeling. There are many bathroom remodel contractor, who provides bathroom remodeling services at affordable prices

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awkward window placement is just one of the drawbacks of renting or buying an existing house. Although if you choose to see this in a positive light, this can be an opportunity for testing your analytical skills and showing off your creativity. And I honestly think you were able to win this challenge gracefully. :) Joann@AJC Roofing

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cool ideas. It was the tile selection and bath and shower accessories that worries me a lot. As my bathroom space is much less, I am not able to implement a lot of designs. Thanks for sharing these cool ideas to work with. I am also thinking about installing some quality shower caddies and replacement parts to enhance the usability.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have really fall in love with your bathroom, this is too good.....

    Baths Vanities

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow......this such an amazing bathroom.

    Home Design Plus

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amazing and inspirational master bathroom design you have shared. I really love this.

    Prodigg Signatures

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like the design and the colouring of the bathroom. Really a nice attempt and it grabs attention. Thanks for the blog keep updating more like this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am really amazed! I really love your bathroom. I find great ideas on you. I love the style and the color. Just amazing! Thanks for inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Do you have your shower curtain panels hanging on each end or are they sewn together as one wide curtain?

    ReplyDelete
  37. good post,I am glad to visit your website.. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality and it is very useful one and gives in depth information.
    Kitchen Remodeling

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks fellow your posts are really very good for me since it make good sense for me.
    Bathroom Remodeling

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hey Lynda,

    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post!

    I also want to re do my old bathroom and space is the major issue. I have a misconception that there is less scope of personalization because I have a small bathroom but after reading your post I realized that we can personalize small space too. Little creativity can do wonders. Thanks for sharing great ideas on bathroom remodeling. Using eteger is one of the smart ideas which I like the most.

    ReplyDelete
  40. So beautiful designer bathroom and house I love it.
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hello i don't know if you still get messages or not but I was wondering where I can find those pictures at thanks n advance!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Everything looks amazingly beautiful! Modern is wonderful. The designs, the colors and the textures are just awesome. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This Ushaped Kitchen Remodel Ideas Image from remodeling kitchen for cheap collection, You will find this result with ·192 and 500 x 339 credit to http://greentechindustry.net/kitchen-remodeling.html
    For complete collection of remodeling kitchen for cheap images and tipssteam generators system

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think your bathroom is wonderful, I like how you saved on expenses by being innovative. GREAT images and thoughts!! Your bath is just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing Bathroom Ideas with us,

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yes the bathroom is really gorgeous. I am very pleased to let you know that I am writing a blog where i do review of the latest technology for better shower experience. To learn more please visit this site

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm glad I've found your post! I'm currently looking for some inspirational small bathroom designs as I'm about to redecorate my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails