While cleaning out closets for the garage last week, I pulled together a group of frames I had collected - mostly from thrifting. Although some of the frames and pictures I sold during the sale, there were some I had been meaning to put up. I've been wanting to make another gallery wall in the dining room, so Monday I dove in and just did it...
Without running out to buy anything new and using what I already had, here is how I made this gallery wall...
Use what you've got.
I've gathered a collection of frames through thrift & free ones being discarded at my old job. I cleared the space in front of wall and start configuring layouts. After I got the configuration I wanted, I took pictures of the layouts and did a little editing. I didn't want the wall completely filled, so I didn't use some of the frames / mirrors.
Measure twice - Nail once.
I usually like to use the top of windows or doors as a "water mark" or guide for a starting point. My windows are 12" from the ceiling, so that's where I wanted the top of the frame to line up. I measured from picture wire to the top of the frame to know distance for nail hole. For the side-by-side pictures, I used a level. Since my wall is dark, I used chalk to make my markings, which wiped off easily afterwards with a damp sponge.
No template needed.
I had stacked the frames to the side to clear space, brought in the ladder, and started working the wall from the center - top - down to fill it.
As I worked my way out from the center, I brought over the two plant stands, to help line-up the best place for the frame to hang above it. Since I wanted them to be at the same height, after nailing one on the left, I measured the distance between the nail and the ceiling, and just used that centered with the stand on the right.
After the frames were hung, I removed & replaced each, one by one, to clean & replace pictures. I didn't want to use B&W photos - I was looking to add some print to the dining room for Fall, so I used animal print fabric, and scrapbook paper. You could also use calendar images cards, shopping bags or printed wrapping paper.
I found this great frame found while thrifting last year, (for only $7) but I didn't care for the painting - so I removed it and covered it with some faux leopard (great print for fall - and it's just a small dose). Since I ran out of staples for the gun, I had to improvise: I used a desk top stapler for the straight edges, and thumb tacks to secure the corners. Then I nailed the canvas back into the frame and hung it on the wall - LOVE it!
Clearing space, creating layout and hanging frames = 1 hour.
Cleaning frames & re-framing images plus cleaning up = 2 hours.
A simple afternoon project =)
I usually used this cluster of discarded fitting room frames as a quad (in group of four). This time, I singled them out and used only two.
I always liked the distressed finish of this thrifted frame
I picked up last year at Faith Farm for only $3.
More thrifted items: The pair of sconces I found earlier this year at a church thrift shop for $5 for the pair. Both bamboo gold frames were found at Faith Farm in Ft. Lauderdale - but at different times. When I opened the lower right frame, someones personal photo (and address) was still inside. I'd like to post on FB to try to get it back to its owner. It was $7 and the top right frame was $5.
Here is the break-down of the gallery wall frame collection.
So if you've been thinking about doing a gallery wall - JUST DO IT!!
Whether you reuse frames you already have, or collected a
few new ones while thrifting, it's an easy afternoon project.
Maybe try it this weekend =)
Thanks for stopping by!
LINKING POST TO: