HOW TO MAKE A SPRING PICNIC BASKET CENTERPIECE

After a long harsh winter, filled with bitter cold, snow drifts and cabin fever, everyone is just bursting to get outside for Spring to enjoy some outdoor living! One way to kick off the upcoming outdoor living season is by dining alfresco, which can be a beautiful & casual setting for your family's Easter brunch. Although when we lived in Arizona, we didn't have family, the hubs and I still enjoyed heading outside for our Easter dinner. Arizona was a place I started collecting baskets, and one fun basket I came across while thrifting was a tall picnic basket. I may not have used it for picnics, but the basket became a great textured container to create a simple Spring centerpiece, which can be used indoors or out. Here is what I did...




It all started with a picnic basket I scored at the thrift store...










After adding the cylinder risers and daisies,  I used the textiles, and a few spare leaves to tuck into the back of the basket, making it appear as if Spring is just bursting to come out! The simple green and white color scheme is just refreshing after seeing a season of winter greys...



Since this home was a rental, we really couldn't do much to the unfinished divider wall, so I used another collected basket for a simple outdoor wall decor...


The green & white gingham table topper was another thrift find, I layered over linen fabric I had used as a table cover. Since we didn't have an outdoor dining set, I used a folding table (the one I'd frequently use inside for 'table for two settings), but to make it larger, I put a 42" MDF framed mirror on top of the 36" folded table - The backside of the mirror was flat, and you'd never know it was there after the table was dressed (simple small space solution!)

The weathered X back chairs were another amazing thrift find I had scored in Phoenix, (you can read about here, but have since sold!) and they worked great to create outdoor seating. If there is one good thing to say about being in a dessert state, it has to be that I was able to set this outdoor setting, without having to worry about rain -- just sun!


No trees either, so having an outdoor umbrella was a must - plus it gave me another place to layer in a shot of green color, to pick up on the centerpiece...





 Before & After Spring Spruce-Up in our small (drought tolerant) backyard in Phoenix - you can read in a previous post at: Rental ReStyle: Budget-Friendly Backyard Spring Spruce-Up
 


And if it's still too cold, or worse, snowing, where you live this Easter, you can still create a Springtime Alfresco setting indoors too, creating the same picnic basket centerpiece, plus layering woven chargers or placematts with gingham, checks, or plaid... and for Easter, don't forget the bunnies! (Remember these? A Florida thrift find & DIY fix, you can read about at: Hoppy Spring Bargain Bunnies)






Although I like to change things up, some holiday decor traditionally makes it's way to the table every year - like these birds nests from HomeGoods, but this year, they were filled with golden chocolate eggs... A great little compliment to the vintage Greek Key border table set I also scored thrifting, but up in Scottsdale... The vintage brass coupes (yes - another Phoenix thrift find!) made an elegant riser for the nests...


I hope you're inspired to create a simple Spring Centerpiece of your own to set on your Easter table, whether you dine inside or out! Afterwards, use this centerpiece on a buffet or entry table if it's still winter by you, for a taste of Spring indoors -- if not, layer it into your front entry or Spring patio decor!



Thanks for stopping by!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails