I measured & cut rectangles of the pattern I liked...
from the pile of free fabric samples I had...
to make a new focal point in our refreshed dining space for Spring.
The rectangles weren't going to be large enough for the existing matt, so I thought I would use some placematts...
I was going to spray them gold - but the placematt and the fabric would have been too thick together. I needed something thinner - so after cutting the pieces, I went to hunt for an old calendar I thought might work.
Other tools you'll need: A straight edge, a utility knife, an Xacto blade,
foam tape squares and some good old duck tape.
My old NYC calendar - still keeping some pics to frame...
The calendar paper would work - it was too large, but
that would give fresh clean cuts after painting...
The fabric was just a smidgen too small,
but the gold painted card stock would solve that...
I used drop cloths in the driveway on a sunny day
to do a quickie spray paint ...
After spray painting the card stock (or you could use poster board) I cut it to fit on the matt - it also added a layer to the framing. I choose gold to pair it with silver frames to show a more modern metal mix in my refreshed space.
Before lining up the matts in a row on the floor, I numbered their backs
and the backing of the frame they matched.
I frequently use the kitchen floor to lay out projects on...
Kitchen floors make great working space for projects:
It's an open area with good light.
I had spray mount backs of card stock out in the garage
(TIP: lay on newspaper to avoid sticky over spray on your garage floor).
Lay the cut fabric onto your layered matt and
place foam tape squares to their corners to attach & secure fabric.
When I was ready to put matts back in, I cleaned each one and checked for any "Sephora" hairs before sealing their backs with the duck tape.
Gotta love her! =)
I used the Xacto (or use a utility knife) for clean cuts of the tape.
Flipped to double check the arrangement and made notes
of measurements for mounting them to the wall.
I used a yard stick and a level to line up my holes & make a grid.
I added double face tape on the back corners to ensure they'd stay straight!
I finished the look of the mixed metals in a dining room with some thrifted brass pieces. To make smaller brass taper holders more substantial, set into glass hurricanes. I added green moss (found on clearance at West Elm after holiday) to layer in shades of green for spring. The two brass wall sconces (also thrifted @ $8 for the pair) relate to the gold detail in the frame and flank the new focal point.
While thrifting this weekend, I found some round frames I want to paint and put to surround the sconce back and make it larger - it gets lost in the ferns =)
The trellis-like pattern helped give an outdoor garden setting to the space for Spring.
Still want to paint the table black.
Over the weekend, I met up with Jose, and he gave me some sewing lessons and helped me to make a slip cover I had been wanting to make for our black leather bench. More about that coming up shortly - so stay tuned!
SPECIAL THANKS TO :
for graciously featuring this project on their blog!
LINKED POST TO: