SPRING VIGNETTE THRIFTY-THREE & FREE

After all the spring cleaning I've been doing around our home, I created a fresh spring vignette with three thrifted pieces I found last summer & fall - a white & gold speckled pedestal bowl [$5] with fresh green apples, a pair of brass candle sticks [painted white $5] and pair of white glass lamps [$15 for the pair] with Ikea white shades [shortly to be trimmed with ribbon]. Mixing a balance of thrifted finds with some existing or old pieces helped create a new look on the for next to nothing!


Going to paint this piece from silver to
gold to add interest & metal mix


The frosted glass hurricane was on clearance from Pier 1 [5yrs ago for $10] and I stacked books with the jackets flipped to white. These are all set on another thrifted piece - my $30 vintage buffet [found & refinished back in 2006]. The chain link wall piece was a mirror. Since the mirror broke in shipping, I flipped it to the back side and wrote on it in chalk. The mirror was originally purchased for a client. Thankfully, because the mirror was damaged, the company sent a replacement - so this piece was FREE.


Could replace the mirror, but for now, using it as is...

Wrote on it with chalk...

After painting the P1 holder gold, I'll switch eggs to gold as well.


Also free: I added a branch [found in fall] in the white glass vase [from BigLots in '06 at $8] wrapped with some existing white blossom sprays I already had. For Easter, I'm adding hanging eggs. The small white trellis chachki is a Victoria Hagan piece I had picked up on clearance for only $6 at Target back in '07.



Thank You Natalie Myers for recently featuring this shot in an idea book on Houzz!

Also come visit the Easter update with

The simple fresh green apples were not only an inspiration for a shot of color for the entry vignette, but it relates to the adjacent dining space - refreshed for Spring! Although this space may still have a few tweaks, it most certainly is a happy spring sight to see when walking in the door or coming down the stairs vs. the dark chocolate brown it was for fall & winter.
 
Would like to slip cover the relocated bench. DONE!! For now, I just banded it with a table runner. Check out:
Would also like to paint the espresso table black.

 
Editing, donating, and repurposing items to your collection of pretty pieces that bring you joy is key when you're creating a personalized space. Too much thrift and no new finishes or finds, and your collection could look junky.


Thrifty three finds plus a pair of thrifted brass sconces I found back in November - during a Wacky Wednesday Half Off Sale at the Salvation Army - The pair was only $8. And a quick tip to shine-up brass finds: just soak them in vineger and table salt.


FREE and EZ home remedy to polish brass.
And when all else fails - Just paint it!


My $30 bargain beauty - AFTER I stained it.
I use it to store table linens and decorative glass.
To update its look - I'm considering painting just the doors white.


The same holds true from purchasing all accessories from any one store - your space will look like a store. When shopping, keep your focus on lines, color and texture for the things you love and it will help you create a look that has been curated over time.


ANOTHER fine book to add to your references!

IF you're on twitter - Don't miss #DesignTV Monday morning EST at 11:30 - Another one of my thrifty twitter friends - Stan Williams, author of THE FIND @elegantthrifter - will be chattin' it up on #DesignTv with @jonathanlegate & @abcddesigns about vintage & thrift & giving away copy of
 THE FIND!

And today - don't forget to watch
Mr. Goodwill Hunting on the Nate Berkus Show!

Happy Thrifty Thursday!



LINKING POST TO





























21 comments:

  1. Your vignette is stunning. I love your thrifty finds and you've displayed them beautifully. Great tip on the brass also. Thanks. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynda love the vignette, beautiful flowers. I think gold would be a lovely idea always looks so pretty against white

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased a buffet similar to yours from an antique store in Santa Monica - mind you it cost $225 - which was still a great bargain. I have been planning to paint it a high gloss white (or maybe even a riskier color) and mirror or wallpaper the doors to bring out the door handle design which is in an octagon-ish shape and raised. Your idea of painting out just the doors is great,. A few years back designer Kenneth Brown designed a wall unit for us - the unit frame was Alder wood and the doors a high gloss white - painted by an automotive shop. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynda, love your vignette, it is fresh and crisp just like Spring!!!! Happy Thursday,Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of this. What a wonderful and different vignette. I love how you put it all together. You have a great look going there. And I also like the table runner on the bench. That is a nice little surprise and detail! The whole room looks great!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. *** Lynda, it really DOES like like a breath of SPRING'S FRESH AIR!!! Uber charming, m' friend!

    Warmest,
    Linda in AZ *
    bellesmom1234@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. *** Uh-oh!... I MEANT ..."look like"... (Yep, time for bed!!!). XO, Linda ***

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it ALL - but I want to know where you store all of these things until you need them for a new vignette?? I ran out of space long ago:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. I love everything about your style and the price for everything is even more amazing!! Thanks for creating such a great blog full of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    I think your spring vignette looks amazing! I love the green, black, and white together. Can I come live with you??? :) Just kidding... but, it does look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful spring vignette. Everything looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful vignette! Everything looks so crisp and fresh! Perfect for spring! I'm your newest follower.
    Have a great weekend!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, found you through my romantic home, loving your vignette! just gorgeous!
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the blogger love ladies!! Glad you enJOYed the spring vignette and WELCOME new followers =)

    Brenda - It does get tricky at times, but it's a combination of shifting, organizing and occassionally donating to keep the clutter down.

    Thanks for stopping by !! Have a wonderful weekend!

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  15. So incredibly gorgeous! You'll have to relink this up when I have the Spring Mantel party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the white bowl and green apples. You are so right about keeping the mix of vintage and new. Sometimes I fear my spaces might get a little "too old lady" and I try to keep them fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very modern and fresh! I adore the shade of green you painted the wall in your eating area. I think my over the top favorite thing is your gorgeous chalkboard. I have been dying to do one. This one is soooo unique. Loved it all.

    Come pay me a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lynda - where did the chain link mirror come from? Gorgeous vignette.
    Michael
    bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your features around the blogosphere. I love your style and that as is mirror with chalk writing is fabulous. Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your vignette looks beautiful and perfect for spring.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails