TEXTILE TIPS TO HELP YOU GET ORGANIZED

A big part of Spring cleaning is also home organization. Before all our "stuff" turns to clutter, we need to take some time to clear it. But it doesn't have to mean a trip to the store to buy all new Martha worthy totes! Although that would be nice, over the years I've simply used what I already have: existing storage boxes, file boxes from Office Depot / Max, hangers and shelves for stacks. I sort my home textiles by color (pillow covers and window panels) and label the boxes. All the textiles (and pillows) are kept in one closet. If the closets starts to get over-stuffed, I know it's time to donate - to friends, mom, or Goodwill...

Pillow covers may take up less space than continually buying dec pillows, but they can pile up too. Take time to sort the piles into similar colors. Put sorted colors into labeled boxes or totes.

When winter comes, and you're feeling like switching from the brights of summer,
it will be easier to refresh your space.

Keep and reuse some of the store zipper packages.
This helps when trying to fold up and store slippery fabrics like sheers.

Even if you don't have boxes or totes,
stack your home textiles by color on shelves.

Use what you have - use space to hang
some of your window panels or even table cloths.

Label totes and tuck into back corners what you don't use that often. (I don't scrap book so the boxes on right are memorabilia such as our cards and photos.)

Use above shelves in your closet to stack & store dec pillows.
Colorize & alternate your stacks (helps keep them from falling).

Can't stress this enough: Sort by color.

Sort by color.

Keep like prints together - label "Black & White prints".

Use what you have: No fancy shelving system or Martha worthy decorative totes - but
 the closet is still organized.

Be sure to put away the piles - you could have space you don't even know about.

You can even sort your textiles by theme which can make it easier
to pull out when a holiday comes around.

I recently acquired a generous (free!) stack of fabric samples from my friend Jose.
While at his studio one day, he saud, "Take what you want" so I did - but they too are colorized in a stack.


Not all textiles need to be stored away
in a closet, but use the same concept: sort by color.

Use a buffet adjacent to your kitchen or dining area to sort table linens.


Darker colors sheets I usually use for fall & winter.
For spring & summer I like the whites - and now a bit of B&W prints.

I don't know about you, but I destroy white towels with make so
I prefer to use dark or printed towels.

I love my zebra towels - must be the Leo in me =)

Under sink in master bath - hubs only likes to use white towels =)


Hope these tips helped with some of your Spring Cleaning!
What are some ways you organize your home textiles?



Linking Post To



5 comments:

  1. I sort by color also or by season. I am not as highly organized as you but aspire to be!!! I am running out of room and that is even after a purge, oh my!!! Decorating for the seasons does take extra storage space. I feel as if I have to move part of my world to get to what I need. Now I need to go and purge some more!! Wish me luck, KS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are super organized! I've never sorted my textiles by color other than the fabric in my craft room! I think I will need to try that with my sheets. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don't have much to sort. If I did I know good and well who to contact!


    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Kathy, Carrie, Rashon and Design Elements!

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails