CONSIGNMENT, DONATIONS, FAB FINDS & STYLE TIPS

If you're looking for a few wardrobe updates, now is a great time to shop for them. Some of the best deals of the year happen now at the major retailers for their end of the season summer clearance sales, but you can also find some great deals at thrift and consignment shops. Before embarking on a major shopping excursion, take a deep breath, do a closet purge and keep these 3 tips to keep in mind:
 

1. Take time to try on what you have, especially denim.
2. If it doesn't fit, let it go.
3. Re-evaluate your wardrobe with your lifestyle today.



While donating to Goodwill (Central AZ info here) is great, there are also other organizations that can benefit from clothing donations. After a recent closet purge, I split my purge into two groups: Casual and Business. The casual pieces I brought to my local consignment shops: My Sister's Closet and Turn Style Consignment. The money I earned from My Sister's Closet was a great way to save additional money when I picked up a few pieces for summer - consignment (chain) stores usually carry better brands 75% off retail. The other batch of my purge was more business types of dresses, pants and jackets which I donated to Dress For Success, Phoenix Chapter. Dress For Success is an organization that promotes the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire, a network of support and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.





It really doesn't take much to update an existing wardrobe with a few on trend colors or patterns. Along with checking out the latest trends on Pinterest or featured in fashion magazines - stay true to yourself. For example: Denim is a hot trend, and so are skinny jeans, but if trouser or boot-cut fits your figure best, go with it in an updated finish and you'll be set. You can even find on trend looks and styles at thrift stores, or even on clearance. Besides bermudas  or circle skirts for summer, keep an eye out for deals on denim for fall. Here's a few finds I've gotten this year from shopping thrift, consignment, and end of season deals...




Brands like J.Crew, Gap, Banana Republic and Ann Taylor - all from Goodwill. A monthly 20% off coupon helps with extra savings, unless you brave the crowds on a 50% off Saturday Sale (those events have Black Friday crowds!) When your cart is filled with the styles and brands you like, again - try on your finds. There's not point spending money on brands to take up space in a closet.





Mix what you have with a new find to create your look. The straw bag was last years find at My Sister's Closet. Paired here with a pair of dark denim shorts from Goodwill ($5), a sleeveless denim top from TJMaxx, and wooden bangles - also from thrift a few years back.


At retailers - Shop clearance racks for the best deals:
Nothing like finding a great pair of jeans that fit perfect and are on sale for a fraction of retail - The RL retail on these jeans was $75. I got them for $15 because of a $10 off certificate I used at TJMaxx...


Back in the Spring, I spotted this super deal on a Ralph Lauren linen jacket at Goodwill. Linen is perfect for hot weather climates...



 This polka dot skirt (another hot print trend) was $3 at Goodwill and the straw bag was a find at My Sister's Closet...


The stripe & polka dot wedges I got last year from My Sister's Closet and they are so comfortable! They worked great with this knit polka dot skirt and black tunic tube top - both from Goodwill for $7. (The scarf I had) I wore this on Jeff's birthday when I went golfing with him - I was his caddy girl :)



 Light weight woven tops in the summer are a great option to a jean jacket or a wrap for a layered look. I wore them more often this summer, tied in a knot at the waist. Black & white stripes continue to be on trend and are just a classic. A great way to wear black & white stripes is to vary the scale or add a graphic print scarf.




Goodwill find for $4...



Spotted these fun bags at Turn Style consignment when they opened earlier this year. The patent with white top stitch is good for fall, while the stripe bag with  bamboo handles was great for summer. Although chevron was cute too, I left it for another fashionista to find...


Another sad market-up from a retailer - but another person who purged their closet brought these to consign, so I scored them for $18 (and again, fit great and better than any jean I already had and donated)






Is it possible to have too many stripes? I don't think so - especially after all the years I only wore solid black and nothing else. All of these prints are welcomed changes - changes based on lifestyle - and a fun challenge to find (but doable!) on a small budget. Sunday you can make your small budget stretch a little further a the JCP "Friends & Family" event at all stores from 5pm - 10pm. Save an extra 25% off select purchases in store & online. Get and print the coupon here.


 Details about the My Sister's Closet Progressive Sale & Fall Unveiling

Monday, August 12 kicks off the progressive sale at My Sister's Closet. Twice a year, MSC purge their stores of the previous season's goods by having a progressive sale. A progressive sale starts off with a low discount, and works its way up to a higher discount over the period of the sale. The day after the MSC progressive sale, they close the store to re-merchandise the floor with all the Fall goods they've collected from people dropping off clothes to consign. The following day is again like Black Friday, with crowds storming the store to get their hands on the latest brands and deals.

I hope these tips incentified you to purge your closets, donate, consign and shop this weekend!


Thanks for stopping by!

Linked post To:

Friday Show & Tell



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails