THE SEVEN MODERNS OF DESIGN - AS DEMONSTRATED BY THOMAS O'BRIEN

Well - I did it. And I'm glad I did. What did I do? While visiting the bookstore the other day, I picked up Thomas O' Brien's new book - American Modern. I'm so glad I did because I can TOTALLY relate to his thought process of design. You'll find in this book, through the absolutely gorgeous photography of Lauren Resen, O' Brien and co-author Lisa Light, will take you on a journey discovering the seven moderns...Traditional - Urban - Casual - American - Elegant - Formal - and my favorite of all: Vintage Modern....


TRADITIONAL MODERN

URBAN MODERN

CASUAL MODERN

AMERICAN MODERN

According to O' Brien, "American Modern is about the remixing of history, influence, and spirit to make your style your own". He also says to consider "Practicality, industry, boldness, scale, simplicity, sincerity, and innovation", when creating a space...

ELEGANT MODERN

FORMAL MODERN

O' Brien says, "Designing can be many things to many people - But it has always been about tradition in modern life." O' Brien has been "guided by tradition, both inherited and studied - which he'll bend to the moment he's living in."

VINTAGE MODERN
O' Brien's old Russel Wright bed, used as a daybed in his studio,
 is shown here "sheltered and surrounded by art".


VINTAGE MODERN
O' Brien says, "Adapting a vintage studio style allowed him to
have more creativity in his home - because he is
surrounded by the things that inspire him."

Two other books I came across on Monday's visit to the bookstore were
LIVING WITH WHAT YOU LOVE and THE FIND

by Monica Rich Kosann

by Stan Williams

by Thomas O' Brien,
Lisa light, and photography by Laura Resen.



Of these seven moderns, Vintage Modern,
as demonstrated by O' Brien,
 is definitely a style to be applied in a space
that is designed to LIVE - NOT designed to sell...


VINTAGE MODERN - A VERY
PERSONAL STYLE
"One must look back - in order to move forward."

Have you broken through your boundaries,
and surrounded yourself by what inspires you?
Check out these books, and you will...


6 comments:

  1. I am going to have to check out the O'Brien book. Luckily, my publisher also published the Living With What You Love Book, so it "conveniently" arrived into my possession! Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past I have been very traditional. For the last few years I have fallen in love with more old world. Most recently the Belgian style really excites me. Practically speaking I would say my favorite is soft modern mixed with antiques. These pics are lovely and I think I would enjoy the book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought of classifying interior design this way. Very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i find you on the blog from the Elegant Thrifter. Thank you for this great post and this pictures. my favorite are the picture with eames chairs thank you regards jürgen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I am like the vintage/formal modern, but would rather be casual modern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Thomas O'Brien! His pieces with Hickory Chair are always amazing. Will definitely have to get this book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails