ONE DAY IN YOUR LIFE: TRIBUTE TO DAD


Kinda funny how the days can run together and pass you by... Literally days turn into weeks... weeks to months... and months to years... but on a day as special as today, memories of the good (and sometimes even bad) can come rushing back... but still fill a heart with joy. There's all kinds of fathers out there, from the founding fathers of our country to good ole' father time... But today is the day to reflect on the time with not just any father... but dear old dad...



Who knew I'd see and learn so much...



I learned to dance... and about rhythm...
(and how to build built-ins)

I learned dad was a curb minor (a thrifter at heart):
He found these barrels on the side of the road,
brought them home, painted,
made a cushion and turned them into seats..



I learned how to protect a Florida home from hurricanes...



I learned how to paint a house...



I learned about the details...



I learned how to build a snowman
(dad made)...





I learned how to build a skating rink...
(2x4's, visqueen and water)



I learned how to customize "The Van"...



so when I got my first car,
I customized it too...

I learned how to build a barbecue and ...

how to grill...
(BTW: my grandfather made the grill and
the tools for grilling at the steel mill he worked at AND more thrifting from dad: the side cart he found and painted yellow next to the grill)

I learned early on about the clean lines of
Mid Century Modern furniture...

I learned about building arches, applying faux brick,
paneling, wall paper, and building a breakfast counter...
(aaahhh... the 70's...)

I learned about Spanish style interiors (oy vey!)
(mom sewed the draperies... tassels, fringe and all...)



and living in South Florida, I learned
how to take the inside out and have a love of landscaping...
(dad built this covered bench and landscaped the yard)


but I also learned from dad to have a love of the sea...



and to always look ahead and ask questions
to learn even more...

found this wall art while thrifting...
and reminded me of my dad...


So Happy Father's Day to my dad...
and to yours...




2 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to your Dad Lynda.......he is smiling really big in Heaven right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was lovely, Lynda! Imiss my Dad so much, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails