MONDAY MAKEOVERS



Having a strong neutral base (a palette of grey & brown) has allowed several transformations to occur in our small-space town-home through the past three years - all with the simple switch of textiles and accessories. For this summer-time transformation, I reused last years blue & white pillows (from the Out Of The Blue post on HGTV's RateMySpace) with prior years pillow covers and window panels (Mile Marker Memory). I updated a few photos to incorporate more coastal images and added a few more seashell inspired fillers we've collected from our travels in South Florida (Key West, Key Largo, Naples & Sanibel Island). The new navy accents also relate back to the dining room (from Wake Up Your Walls post). Thrifted finds added more personality to the space for a look that has been collected over time...


Trick to mixing printed pillows: maintain same value hue...



Started with same lamps...  but switched with bedroom mercury glass lamps to add more sheen to the space...

Cylinder displays here were previously used in
dining room for a coastal tablescape...








Add items with meaning to create personalized vignettes: Key West conchs (this years anniversary trip souvenir) displayed in these two glass cylinders I found at the Salvation army two years ago..

Relate photos to your space for seasonal makeovers: this photo was from another anniversary trip down to the Keys, shot on the Seven Mile Bridge. Picked up braided frames for $5 at the Habitat For Humanity Re-Store...

Even if a print is already framed (top)
switching it into a larger frame with a wider matt can update its look for $0...




$1 Lamp Love transformation

Black wicker thrift store chair - previously upstairs in bedroom. I added a $3 blue & white tablecloth I had (used previously in Out Of The Blue bedroom makeover) used here as a runner - and picks up on print of shade.


Personal photos in black & white - pulled together as a collection and a
$3 pillow cover and a RL blanket I've had for about eight years create a cozy nook...



MILE MARKER MEMORY 2008

Stripe PB panels from 2008 today are in the dining room, the lanterns are outside with plants in the garden, the lamps have printed shades, this coffee table is up in the yoga room...



I've since stained espresso the blonde wood legs on the sofa
(and would like to trim out base with silver nail heads)

1998 sofa has many, many makeovers,
just from switching dec pillows or space saving pillow covers...



I use to play it safe... and I feel my style has now
evolved into experimental and fearless to try new things...

Pile together what you have, and see what new look you can come up with...

Get inspired from magazines, store tours, and books...

Shop discount stores or clearance for inspiration...
Found this shade over a year ago at Marshalls Home Goods for only $7 -
and now finally had the right space and lamp to use it in...

Shop thrift to save money ($1 lamp)...

And IF you have thick skin, go ahead a dare to post your pics of your makeover on HGTV's Rate My Space - but be warned - be prepared to take in some occasional not so nice comments (since starting to post there in 2007 - the comment crowd has changed - A LOT !!) - but just let them roll off your back - If YOU love the space and LIVE in your space... THAT is all that matters...



We love our home... and so does our cat - Sephora...



The living & dining room weren't the only spaces to get a makeover... Regular readers may have noticed - I revamped my blog. I've been wanting to convert to three columns & clean-up the blog-  So Saturday night (overnight) - I took on the challenge of doing so. (What do you think of it??) I also created the new header (photo collage on picknik) by using some of the photos of these makeovers, converting to B&W, and added text. The header is now also my new twitter background, and made a new avatar for the facebook fanpage (Come and LIKE Focal Point on facebook and if you're new to Focal Point - Become a follower up at the top of the page!!)

Thanks for visiting, commenting, liking and have a wonderful week!!



Participating in 81st METAMORPHOSIS MONAY link party over at
BEWTEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH....
(I'm #166!)
and DIY SHOWOFF Project Parade!



10 comments:

  1. Ooooooooo, I know I have mentioned this before, but I am not a blue girl. BUT, this new look is fabulous. Loving it. Great job on the blog revamp too. Everything you touch gets better and better.

    And, OMG, RMS sucks. I never go on anymore. I miss the old days when you could get inspired. Personally I think the tv show ruined it. I know there was drama before that, but content wise the show ruined it.

    OK, I am done with my rant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lovely home and are so clever with your styling. I love every thing in your post today.I'm such a navy fan. Think I'll do a post on your blog today Sax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful new blog layout Lynda.....yes I am digging mine too...it is easier to read. I always love your photos, and quality thereof...so glad you are enjoying the link parties....I am having a before and after this Wed...hope you join in...:) Thanks for stopping over. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I simply CAN NOT get tired of looking at what you've done to your home. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog makeover Lynda! It looks fantastic!!! I really think the new photo header looks great.
    So many great things in your post too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Chicka!!!! Lovin' the new blog-do...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree with Jill about RMS. I still do post OCCASIONALLY but am now prepared for negative comments and ratings! I MISS THE OLD DAYS when people supported each other!!! The show changed it all. Sorry, now I am ranting too!!!! Your home looks beautiful in all it;s transformations!!!!!!!!!!!! I, too, change things for the seasons and right now am in my shell/coastal mode:):) XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous......I love your photos
    I just repaint my outdoor "ceramic frogs" and they look
    perfect.Even my dauther said it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails