HOSTING A SMALL HOLIDAY GATHERING

Last week I called up a few friends to ask them over for a get together. In the past, we all were working such crazy hours (retail) that we never seemed to be able to find the time TO get together. Some are still working the extended holiday retail hours and were unable to make it; but those who did come, we hadn't seen each other in about 4-5 years.



Since it was a small gathering, there was no need to fuss with running to the store for supplies, and I certainly did not need to decorate the house - that's done. Just a few simple tweaks in the kitchen, pull out some dishes, prep the space and we were ready to go. Similar to decorating the house for Christmas, editing everyday items was key. I removed our catch-all box and charging station off the counter and planned three zones for the food: a beverage area, appetizer area and dessert area.


I pulled a "Sandra Lee" and the food was semi-homemade. I made Mexican Meatballs. Since they need to sit in a warm bath of gooey cheese mixed with Rotel chili's and tomatoes, I placed our slow-cooker on low, on the counter space where the charging station usually is. The three tier dessert stand came in handy to serve Pillsbury's Savourings for more appetizers. One long plate held three bowls for dips for a larger bowl of Tostitos bite sized chips. Steve brought a platter of veggies and hummus...
(others brought more wine - so we're stocked now!! lol)




Although I had toothpicks out, I also used some glasses to set up forks & spoons if anyone wanted them - and later for coffee & desserts. I also made a platter of four cheeses & two cracker flavors with a centerpiece bowl filled with grapes (it was a simple pairing for the wine!). To keep the white wines chilled, I just used a galvanized container from the garage filled with ice. Target had had the larger bottles on sale, so everyone had their choice of reds and whites...






I used two cake plates stacked in the corner to serve cookies and a cheesecake sampler. I stacked the cookies around the base of the middle tier, and used the top tier for the cheesecake. Candles were lit all over and it made for a nice glow with the tree and wreath lights.




We were all so engaged and thrilled seeing one another, unfortunately not many pics were taken... but that's OK. I know I personally just stopped - and enjoyed the moment rather than worrying about getting that perfect shot. I remembered to take pics after some guests had left. Here's a few...


Me and my dear friend (and old boss!) - Steve

Me & Jeff
(He's SOOO tired from the hours & drive!)

Steve, me and Albert.

It was a wonderful evening... (stress free!) time well spent with
good friends - who are almost like family to me.


Hope you are enJOYing some quality time
with those who matter most to you too...

Merry Christmas!



Linking Post To


11 comments:

  1. What a lovely home! Sounds like you had a really fun time! Enjoy the holidays, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kellie!! Same to you and thanks for stopping by!

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your prep work turned out beautiful. Love the pictures of all of your setting, they look fabulous. You looked stunning also, and sounds like such a fun time. I hope you have a very Blessed Christmas. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your comment. I haven't told many this yet, but I am pregnant. I have been so sick, just looking at the computer makes me sick. I am waiting to tell family and friends. Decorating even makes me sick. I hope I get my mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Holidays to you too Lynda...wishing you all good things for 2011~~ Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it was a fantastic evening! Best wishes for a wonderful 2011 and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Pam, Debbie and Marty!! And CONGRATS decor4poor!!!! You'll get your mojo back - that plus a whole lot more!!

    Merry Christmas!
    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a totally lovely environment you created. your home is fabulous.. party sounds like fun. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home is so beautiful and festive. You do such an amazing job. And YOU look amazing! Makes me want to get myself back into the holiday spirit and get dressed. lol It's been a rough week.

    Thanks so much for the note. You're the sweetest. Wishing you the best holiday season. :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful get together you made. Looks like everyone had a great time. Have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynda,
    ho ho ho and a bottle of rum.... or am i getting my phrases mixed up again? Any who,
    you look mahvelous dahling and your party looks like it was fun. I can't wait to see what you come up with for 2011.
    Have a merry Christmas and a prosperous new year

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails