THE STORY BEHIND THE STYLE

Should old acquaintance ~ or family or childhood memories ~ be forgot ~ and never come to mind? Absolutely not! At this time of year, I can't help but not only reflect on the passing year, but all the years that have passed. And as much modern style I 'think' I may have, I do become a traditionalist at New Years. I grew up in a house that no matter how tough times may have gotten (remember the recession in the 70's?) my parents and their friends still managed to ring in the new year with a party in our New Jersey basement...

New Years morning - NJ in the 1970's

I slept through most of their New Years Eve parties - although I don't know how!! One of the things they use to do was POP all the balloons with their lit cigarettes at midnight! And my dad would go outside - even in the snow - to light off fireworks in an old milk can we had out back. I'd wake up around 6am and they'd STILL be going... Party hats, noise makers and all... half empty chips and dip bowls and glasses on the bar... leftover dishes like lasagna and sausage & peppers would be over on the buffet (everyone brought a dish!) and there I was, wanting to be a part of it...

New Years Morning - NJ 1970's

My parents even made some of the New Years decor like these hats: Just plain black felt top hats, but my dad took a little masking tape, glitter, and spray paint (hmmmm....) and they made these festive top hats they could resuse every year! My dad had built that thirteen foot bar - plywood, walnut paneling and moldings. With a jigsaw, he even cut out my parents initials along with some martini glasses he mounted in its front. The bar top was RED Formica, framed with the walnut molding, which also he installed Christmas lights up under with garland at Christmas. Above the bar was the (motorized) mirrored ball, WITH... two spot light boxes my dad also made and hung in the corners of the bar overhang.

New Years Eve-Day - NJ 1970's

Oh ~ but the decorating for him didn't stop there. Some of our holiday decor in the basement (I learned later in life) my dad found in good old New York City. He went dumpster diving or curb mining at Macy's in Herald Square. With a little spray paint (hmmmmm again) they were as good as new (and Champagne Gold too!) During New Years Eve 'day', I'd help blow up balloons to help flood the ceiling with. I don't know how more didn't pop before NYE, because he had to attach them (with a white tack) in between all the StarBrite (now vintage) ornaments and tinsel he already had hung from the ceiling (he was a true believer in decorating that fifth wall!)

Here it is in color...

That tinsel filled ceiling and mirrored ball did it for me. Who knew that glitz & glamour would translate so many years later to my favorite tablescape to set: New Years Eve. Although I don't have a big party, it's more of a quiet evening for two (plus our furball), but I still like for it to be fun and festive! Last year, around this time, I had just started the blog. I used a more tutorial voice when I wrote the post about a New Years Eve tablescape called No Reservations Required. You can still get some helpful tips from it, that I refreshed today... but for now, here are just the images ~ more than the original post... Thanks for the inspiration DAD!!!


















I may use a little gold with the silver this year... but one thing is for sure...
I will still be using my 'traditional' mirrored disco balls in honor
of my dad and his
love of celebrating New Years Eve...

BTW: I hope to be sharing just one more New Years Eve tablestyling idea, I came across yesterday... I'll try to be posting tomorrow...

Can't wait ~ It's almost here!!
Happy (early) New Year!!



LINKING THIS POST TO
The Original Post: No Reservations Required

and these parties!



16 comments:

  1. What a great post Lynda! I really enjoyed the old photos of New Years past! Your new photos are wonderful too! Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the old photos of 70s New Years parties held in the basement. I love that colorful photo, it's so over-the-top and fantastic! I miss parties like that.

    I'll confess I hid away for New Years because the fireworks in Italy terrified me. So many. So LOUD! :)

    Thanks for the inspiration and the glimpse at the past, Happy New Year to you! I love this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're my daily fix of inspiration. This post goes beyond awesome! The NYE party in the Jersey basement(and a fabulous one at that) is priceless. Your Dad knew how to throw a party! The initials and the hats are all the sign of a detailed eye. In the 7 months in blogging and discovering you over on HGTV's RMS....you have that same eye for detail. Your tablescapes and your decor as a whole are always beautiful and surprising. I see the merchandiser in you but feel the warmth of your passion for design. Glad to have discovered you and look forward to following your work in the new year! I gotta get some of those mini disco balls girl. lol xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your photos just made me smile! I adore your photos of you waiting and your memories. There are so many things I wish I had photos of like, waiting for New Years too! Your table is gorgeous, I especially love all of your mirrored surfaces. It is elegant and makes such a festive statement. May you have a wonderful New Year's celebration and may 2011 be a joyous one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lets ring in 2011 the right way! Greatness is before us!!!


    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great pictures!!!! I love them. My parent's are still using barstool very much like those in your basement! We built our house in 1965 and the barstools remain, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post. I love your pics and how fun that your dad was so into decorating for the holidays. Your tablescape is gorgeous. Very elegant and sparkly too. I hope you have a very Happy New Year. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very swanky! Love what you've done for New Year's Eve! But my favorite part was the old photos! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for dropping by with your kind words. I loved seeing your vintage photos. They remind me so much of my youth. Omg.. I also love the tablescapes.. gorgeous!Happy New year to you and yours, may the new year bring you plenty of blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you posted the story that is the inspiration for your table. Makes me love it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you SO much and HAPPY NEW YEAR Kim, Marlis, Maria, Marty, Robin, Rashon, Jacqueline, Melanie, Van and Pam!

    Best wishes for a blessed NEW year!
    xo Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lynda-

    You have done so many beautiful designs, rooms, tables....how inspiring! Like you, I have a display background and enjoy combining those skills with design. I wrote a decorating book back in the 90's doing just that and even got to promote it on Lifetime TV. It was before HGTV days.
    I hope yopu have a wonderful 2011. I look forward to your projects and posts.
    My best- Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty table. Your photos remind me of growing up in Brooklyn, NY. My Uncle had a bar in his basement and that made it party central. Kids would be sleeping anywhere we could while the relatives had a ball. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this post sooo much! I came to your blog through Mr. Goodwill Hunting and I'm so glad I did. This is what blogging is all about: family stories, memories, and inspiration. You inspired me to re-think my family-centered New Years Eve party. You never know what your children will remember about the home they grew up in but I do have the power to make those memories special. I read through your blog like a beautiful magazine, and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great one to see your blog last time I see same design to my friend designed in chennai. Majorly used Aluminium scaffolding equipment used for glass room design. Really very gud looking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this!!! It brought back memories of the bar my hubby built in our first house. It, too, had a red formica top and pannelled side. What great fun we had entertaining there (with no money)!!! Thanks for bringing back those memories.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails